Pages

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Which Dress is Best?

Below are the two dress options I am considering for my class project.  Make sure you read my ideas along with looking at the pictures - it will make a huge difference!  I hope you are able to "see" what I see - my vision for these dresses.  We don't need to have our patterns picked out for at least a week or two because we are going to start working with these fabrics to give us a better idea before we decide exactly which dress to make.  Who knows - maybe I will change my mind completely after working with lace next week! 

Let me know which dress you like best!

OPTION #1:  Vogue Dress: Badgley Mischka
First of all let's talk about the fact that it is a Badgley Mischka design.  That, in and of itself, is enough of a reason to make this dress!  I think this is a gorgeous dress, but I am uncertain of where I would have to wear it.  The only change I would make on this dress is probably to bring the bust together so it is a little less low cut: a little less "J-Lo", if you know what I mean.  And I don't know what colour I would make it in either.




OPTION #2:  McCalls Dress
This one is going to need a little more imagination on your part.  My idea is to make the dress out of a really beautiful fabric like a dupioni silk or a silk faille (trust me - very nice, and structured) and then add a layer of lace over the bodice of the dress (top half).  Then perhaps I would add a lace trim along the bottom of the skirt.  Version A is the one I would make, but it has the entire dress with a lace overlay - I would probably just do the top half.  Or perhaps I would add version C's sleeves.  How beautiful would a textured dupioni silk with a french lace overlay be?  Plus, I love how the dress has the side slant pockets, which makes it a bit more stylish.  The only pattern change I might make would be to make the neck line a bit lower - a deeper scoop.  As for colour, it would likely be in the grey or champagne colour palettes.  It would depend on the lace colour, but I wouldn't want the underlining to contrast too heavily - moreso just complement the lace (not match it).  This would be a much more "wearable" dress, especially because it isn't a floor-length gown.



1 comment:

  1. OK... I'm torn. At first I was all gun-hoe for the second option mostly because it has pockets, and I'm currently loving pockets. I agree with pattern A with the sleeves of C - that's so you! BUT then I took a second to go back to your first option. I'm thinking to myself, when will you have a chance to make a dress like that ever again in your life?

    My vote: Badgley! Because once you get your silk/lace sewing skills honed you can tackle the McCalls pattern

    ReplyDelete