Pages

Friday, September 25, 2009

Class is in session...

I started my class on Tuesday.  As I have previously mentioned, I am taking courses at Mohawk College in Hamilton in dressmaking.  I am working towards getting my Dressmaking Certificate:  it is eight classes in total, and this one will be my sixth class.  I take one class per semester, and each one is 10 weeks long:  it's a lot of work considering I am working a full time job, plus the rest of my life.

I have been looking forward to this particular course though.  It is the evening wear / special occasion outfit class.  We learn how to work with specialty fabrics (e.g. lace, satin, silks, etc.), boning, beading, shirring, etc., and then we also sew an outfit for ourselves (from a pattern).  I am excited to learn a lot in this class, because every other class thus far has dealt with fabric that is quite easy to work with.  Moreso, I would really like to start sewing more with delicate fabrics:  I love the idea of designing and creating beautiful gowns and dresses.

But because I haven't learned yet how to take my own ideas to the fabric, I am stuck using a pattern!  I have narrowed it down to two patterns, I think.  One dress is gorgeous but I would have nowhere to wear it, and the other one is less fancy, and definitely more wearable (but still would be beautiful).  Perhaps I will post the two options, and see if anyone else has an opinion?

No comments:

Post a Comment